Saturday, November 25, 2006

We went to my Grandmother's house for Thanksgiving. If it could be summed up in one word, that would be scrumptious!! But, as usual, my professors have no concept of the word "break" and I had a whole truck load of work due this week, was supposed to have been done last week, and other due dates farther back than I wish to mention. :) I was not so successful in catching up ( who ever is? ) But, I did read a truly inspiring book (yes an ENTIRE book). I read Elie Wiesel's Night, a reflection and retelling of his horrific childhood experience in the Auschwitz concentration camp during WWII. In 1986, he received the Nobel Peace Prize, and I was so moved by a portion of his speech that I thought I would share it with you (whoever might possibly still be checking this page :P)

"And that is why I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormenter, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place MUST- at that moment- become the CENTER of the universe."

I pray that we will never forget that. This is the gospel of Jesus lived out in the world today. Let's be HIS hands and HIS feet!!!

Comments:
Yeah! I'm glad to read an update. Sure enjoyed spending Thanksgiving with you-one of my many blessings in life!
Love,
MOM
XOXOXO
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]